There are several types of pumps available in the market. The type you should use depends on the applications you intend to use it for and the prospective working conditions.
Submersible pumps might be the most flexible because unlike the external pumps that operate in dry environments, submersible pumps can be submerged underwater.
In-depth look at submersible pumps
Submersible pumps are hermetically sealed pumps that can be fully submerged in water or the fluid they are pumping. The operating principle of these pumps is dependent on energy transfer. From the transfer of rotary energy (centrifugal force) to kinetic energy and finally into pressure energy.
Unlike external pumps which pull fluid to the surface, submersible pumps push the fluids to the surface as the energy causes the impeller to rotate.
How are these pumps able to survive when submerged?
This is a good question because these pumps are submerged in different fluids that could potentially affect them in different ways.
A lot goes into their manufacturing to prevent fluid disruption. For starters, the motors are designed to be strong and corrosion-resistant, and because they are designed to run continuously when submerged, they have features that keep water out such as a hermetic seal and a moisture monitoring probe.
Advantages of submersible pumps
- They are versatile and can be used for different purposes and substances.
- They’re efficient and quiet.
- There’s no worry of cavitation here since water force is constant.
Applications of submersible pumps
Again, they’re highly versatile. They can be used for:
- Pumping of water, slurry, and sewage.
- Dirt treatment.
- Harvesting of saltwater.
- Artificial irrigation.
- Drilling of deep wells .
Beyond lower-level purposes, these pumps can also be used for advanced operations such as in oil wells for mining and even in the Navy or aboard sea vessels to deal with flooding onboard.
Where can you use them?
You probably won’t be mining on your own anytime soon. You can use these pumps at home for the following reasons:
- Pumping water out of pools or in case of flooding.
- Pumping sewage out of septic tanks.
- Powering of irrigation systems.
If you’re in the Gold Coast area and need a pump for any of the purposes mentioned above, we recommend you go for the submersible pumps. They are one of the most common water pumps on the Gold Coast, so options abound.
If you are considering it, then contact us now at Alpha PMS. When it comes to pumps in the Gold Coast, we are your best call.
- Submersible pump. Wikipedia. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submersible_pump. Accessed: 27-10-2020.
- Pumping Systems Gold Coast. Alpha PMS. https://alphapms.com.au/pump-systems/. Accessed: 27-10-2020.
- Alpha PMS. https://alphapms.com.au. Accessed: 27-10-2020.